I read somewhere this morning that today is Positive Day, a day for thinking happy thoughts. Having spent the last week sick and sleep deprived, I have to admit that I haven’t exactly been in that frame of mind. It is hard to show off your sunny disposition after you’ve spent the night shaking the bed with your reverberating cough. But since it is Positive Day, I’m going to push forward and make a list of the things that are making me happy right now.
1. Planning my Sister-in-Law’s baby shower. I am a nerd so I like organizing and planning things and this event is no exception. After all the hard work Erin put into my wedding shower, I’m really happy that I’m going to be able to pay her back in some way. Plus the sooner the shower comes, the closer we’ll be to my niece being born. Hooray for Smee!
2. Getting in shape again with yoga. When we moved into our current apartment, I signed up for a gym membership and went a total of three times before I remembered that I HATE THE GYM. Seriously, in high school, aside from field hockey and running (which I was pretty good at due to my crazy long legs), gym class was like my torture. But yoga is different. I’m stretching out and getting more in touch with my body and I’ve noticed a difference when it comes to how I feel and even a bit in how I look. Be gone, evil desk pudge! There is no place for you here!
3. The fact that I am getting my haircut this weekend. The last time I got my hair cut was in October a couple of weeks before Jack and Sally’s wedding. Since then, it has grown out of my head into a kind of nonstyle shag which just doesn’t work. At best, I can put it into a kind of anemic ponytail. At worst, I look a little Jennifer Aniston circa 1995 which . . . no. This is not good for anyone, so I’m taking the scissors to it (or, rather, my awesome Trekkie hairdresser is on Saturday at 4).
4. Pushing myself to try doing things I haven’t done before. This started at the end of last year when I decided to try a drawing class. I’m still not a fabulous artist, but I learned some tricks and had a good time. But more than that, I felt good about trying something new and so, to keep from falling into a rut, I’ve been doing my best to keep an open mind and broaden my horizons. After all, I live in one of the best cities in the country for doing wild and crazy things. So in the past few months, I’ve gone to literary readings, checked out art house movies, worked as a live model for a friends’ art project, been to a bunch of art shows, purchased tickets to a circus cabaret (this weekend) and an outdoor music festival (in June) and signed up to be a volunteer at an upcoming literary festival. With the summer coming soon, I hope it will only get better.
5. Reading. If reading was my job, I would be the happiest girl ever! But since it’s not, I enjoy it in my spare time. 36 books so far this year and I finally got a library card so my breaking 100 before the end of the year shouldn’t break the bank. Awesome!
And last on the list, a super special extra happy thing that actually has nothing to do with me:
6. My Brother in Law landed a spot on a teaching supply list! After leaving an unpleasant work situation at the end of last school year, Nick has spent the last few months waiting for something to open up. And now, after a lot of hard work and volunteering, Mr. Smarty Pants landed a place on a supply list and is going for training tomorrow! Way to go, Mr. S! 😉
Anyway, that is all I could come up with since I am still minorly braindead from yesterday’s antics (work, arty adventures, bar night). What about you, bloggerinos? Got anything you’re really psyched about? Get positive with me and spill it in the comments!
P.S. I know that this jolliness is slightly unnerving/out of character for me, but I promise, I’ll be back to my crazy sarcastic self tomorrow. 😛