Last night when I watched How I Met Your Mother, I have to admit, I got a little misty at last night’s episode when Marshall showed up at the airport to pick up Lily. Throughout the episode, they had been lamenting the loss of romance and ritual in their relationship, so when Marshall showed up with a marching band in tow and spouted off everything he’d eaten that day, it warmed my big marshmellowy heart.
Now I’m normally not a fan of the grand romantic gesture, especially the showboaty way they do it on tv or in movies sometimes, but every so often, when they happen in a sweet and unexpected way, I can’t help but be charmed.
So in the spirit of warm and fuzziness, I thought I would make a little list of a few of Boy’s Grand Romantic Gestures over the years. 🙂
1) Showing up at the train station with a rose on my 22nd birthday.
2) Painting the two storey high Grimace purple hallway in our old apartment while I was at work.
3) Proposing to me in a comic strip.
4) Reproposing to me after my engagement ring bit it.
5) Buying me a new laptop for my birthday so that I would have something nicer to work on.
The Grand Romantic Gesture definitely isn’t, and shouldn’t be, an everyday thing but it’s definitely a nice little burst of schmoopiness when it happens.
Has your partner ever made a grand romantic gesture for you? What did they do?