A lot of people are doing this and frankly, I need a kick in the ass to jump start me lately, so I’m posting my list here to be held accountable for my goals. It’s just the beginning, so I’ve got a long way to go, but I’m hopeful I will get as many of these list items accomplished as possible.
So, without further ado, here’s the official deal:
Complete 101 preset tasks in a period of 1001 days.
Tasks must be specific (ie. no ambiguity in the wording) with a result that is either measurable or clearly defined. Tasks must also be realistic and stretching (ie. represent some amount of work on my part).
Why 1001 Days?
Many people have created lists in the past – frequently simple goals such as New Year’s resolutions. The key to beating procrastination is to set a deadline that is realistic. 1001 Days (about 2.75 years) is a better period of time than a year, because it allows you several seasons to complete the tasks, which is better for organizing and timing some tasks such as overseas trips or outdoor activities.
Start Date: February 12, 2009
End Date: November 11, 2011
Italicized – In Progress.
Bold – Completed Item.
1. Get new job.
2. Start doing origami again.
3. Start jewelry making again.
4. Do five crafts from Indie Craft Book. (0/5)
5. Go on half a dozen photography trips (3/6).
6. Go to the revamped AGO.
7. Go to art show at Nathan Phillips.
8. Learn how to book bind.
9. Read 10 YA titles (10/10 – Boyproof – Cecil Castellucci – 2/16, The Adventures of Fanboy and Goth Girl – Barry Lyga 2/22, Freshman – Michael Gerber 2/25, Hero – Perry Moore 3/10, Beige-Cecil Castellucci, 4/2,Perfect Fifths-Megan McCaffery 4/26, The Queen of Cool – Cecil Castellucci 5/4, Speak-Laurie Halse Anderson 5/6, Holes – Louis Sachar 5/16, The Truth About Forever – Sarah Dessen 5/20).
10. Make CD for Tara.
11. Recap all classic Degrassi episodes for blog.
12. Write 500 blog posts (304/500)
13. Turn digital photographs into albums.
14. Read 10 non-fiction books (10/10)
15. Log all read titles in book journal.
16. Organize book group (It subsequently crashed and burned, but I did it!)
17. Audition for movie. (Scott Pilgrim, 02/14/09)
18. Plant small balcony garden.
19. Go to see one show at the Opera Centre on Queen.
20. Get a Toronto Library Card.
21. Weed through clothing and donate to charity at least twice.
22. Buy produce from local organic market for at least 6 weeks in the spring/summer (6/6)
23. Volunteer at a literary event.
24. Make 10 of the recipes I got at my bridal shower (1/10 – Butter Tarts!)
25. Dump crappy template and prettify blog.
26. Get kicky new hairdo.
27. Get a decent pair of winter boots.
28. Go out for Indian food. (3/3/09)
29. Open a savings account and actually save money.
30. Revamp bedroom.
31. Host six themed movie nights with downtown crew.
32. Bake Christmas cookies for friends.
33. Finish wedding blog posts.
34. Turn wedding blog posts into book like planned.
35. Buy ring for amputated finger.
36. Clean and store wedding dress.
37. Go to the zoo at least 3 times. (0/3)
38. See Patton Oswalt live.
39. Go to a show of one artist I have never seen live before. (Pavement/Arcade Fire)
40. Go to the Ancaster Fall Fair. (09/25/10)
41. Plan spa day with mom. (4/25)
42. Get a pedicure in a strange colour. (Rosey Silver)
43. Participate in some sort of blog exchange. (Lace & Accordians CD Exchange).
44. Buy kicky pajamas. (New nightgown 5/7/09)
45. Make it to level 80 in WOW (61/80)
45. Try yoga.
46. Try 10 new restaurants. (7/10 – Nirvana (2/22) Shala-mar (3/3) Irish Embassy( 4/4) Sushi on Queen (4/5) Brickyard BBQ (5/13) Burrito Fresh (5/23) Pravda (7/4))
47. Get rid of old wedding supplies
48. Buy new bikini.
49. Go topless at Hanlan’s point (Ooh la la!)
50. Buy fresh flowers for the house 6 times (0/6)
51. Take the stairs and the stairs only for three months. (Warming up by taking the stairs semi-regularly at work)
52. Learn to drive.
53. Get an actual jewelry box for jewelry.
54. Go to Europe. (October!)
55. Back up all files on removable hard drive.
56. Buy a cover to spiff up my laptop.
57. Get new glasses.
58. Do Christmas movie film fest.
59. Buy a proper calendar to keep track of people’s birthdays.
60. Get around to legally changing name.
61. Go horseback riding.
62. Start carrying around rolled-up reusable bag for purchases.
63. Actually fill and use phone/address book.
64. Go to a play. (Fringe Fest 7/11)
65. Look into getting health insurance outside of a job.
66. Go to some sort of Comic-Con. (TCAF – 5/9/09)
67. Buy a piece of original art. (Bought 3 at TCAF!)
68. Start saving for a condo/house.
69. Go to New York.
70. Meet one of my blogging friends in real life. (Miss K. Ray, Twochicksnest, Nie Nie, Geek in Heels and Ms. Zhukeeper!)
71. Give $100 to charity.
72. Go apple picking.
73. Swear off chocolate and pop for 40 days (40/40)
74. Watch more educational television. (History/Discovery/Animal Planet etc.)
75. Buy some great stationary and use it up writing letters to people.
76. Go to Dream in High Park.
77. Drive out to the Elora Gorge.
78. Enjoy a romantic long weekend up North with Boy.
79. Hike 5 KM.
80. Get tapes and teach myself another language. (Have CDs)
81. Get dressed up and it the Reservoir Lounge again for cocktails and jazz.
82. Take a warm vacation during a cold month. (San Francisco)
83. Make Boy the famous pineapple pancakes for his birthday.
84. Go over to Grandpa’s and look at old pictures.
85. Research and compile a decent family tree.
86. Submit writing to website/magazine/publisher.
87. Get exercise machine for getting in shape.
88. Go to a hockey game.
89. Finally read the entire Harry Potter series.
90. Host a poker night.
91. Subscribe to a magazine I like. (Shameless & Broken Pencil at Canzine)
92. Replace crappy comforter with something nice. (450 thread count blue silk)
93. Organize bathroom cabinet and chuck out all the toiletries I will never use.
94. Go on Toronto ghost tour!
95. Sponsor someone doing something for charity. (Sponsored my dad and an old friend from grade school in cancer charity related endeavours.)
96. Send Valentines to a bunch of friends.
97. Pay for a stranger’s breakfast.
98. Have 10 dinners with my dad (10/10)
99. Ditch knapsack and get a nice professional bag for work. (It’s still a knapsack but it’s sturdier and more professional looking.)
100. Drink 8 glasses of water a day for three weeks (0/3)
101. Pack and eat a picnic in the park.